Re: XML as a document language

Subject: Re: XML as a document language
From: "Gilda Spitz" <gspitz -at- longview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:06:05 -0400

> Shelly writes:
>
> > I am sure all of you have heard of the use of XML as a
> > document language.
> > Apparently, with the use of XML/SGML, one can create DTDs and
> > XSL that can
> > then be used to present information as pdf, html, and other
> > formats. So
> > essentially, you create once and render into multiple formats
> > later. You
> > needn't recreate for each format.
> > This is what I have heard. Would either of you be able to
> > shed light on
> > this issue.

I attended the STC conference last week, and one of my priorities for
the week was to learn about XML, and whether we need to make the switch
from HTML.

I attended several sessions, and now understand a bit about it. But the
most important thing I learned was at a session entitled "Emerging
Technologies in Documentation". A panel of five "technology watchers"
suggested that XML is coming, but most tech writers don't need to worry
about it yet. In the words of Paula Berger, "sit tight and wait for next
year".

This reassuring advice was very similar to Sean Brierley's reply to
Shelly's original posting:

"However, for now, I think most of us have to be content to watch larger
companies
implement really nifty and expensive implementations of XML solutions,
and
hope that their efforts lead to new tools and lower prices."

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation
Longview Solutions