Re: XML as a document language

Subject: Re: XML as a document language
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

Sean Brierly <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- com> wrote:

| Janice Gelb writes:
|
|We are already doing this at Sun, using SGML source to
|create PDFs and Generated HTML. I'm afraid I can't speak
|to a lot of the technical issues involved in doing so.
|The PDF is through our new print engine, from XyVision,
|and I believe the Generated HTML is through style sheets.
|
>Yebbut, I am doing this with non-SGML source.
>
>So, how does XML play with what you are doing at Sun?

Having our source in SGML puts us in a very good position.
It can be "translated" to XML almost seamlessly, given
that SGML is a structured language, unlike HTML.

We are hoping to move to XML and take advantage of its
advanced capabilities to be able to do more discrete
single-sourcing; right now, our archive can only handle
pieces at a book level. In future, we hope to be able
to set up an XML archive to reuse smaller "chunks" such
as procedures. We'll also get more flexibility with our
web browser display thanks to better XML style sheets.