Fwd: Non-computer TW (Was: Losing my profession?)

Subject: Fwd: Non-computer TW (Was: Losing my profession?)
From: Phoebe Minias <phoebe -at- MIT -dot- EDU>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:36:30 -0400

I am a tech writer in academia. In my previous job as Assistant Registrar, I also wrote documentation of procedures. I ended up getting a Master's in Technical Writing and recently moved into a newly-created position working for the IT group that supports the offices that provide student services (Registrar, Admissions, Financial, etc). I do both development and procedural documentation. I feel really lucky to be in this position and enjoy working in an academic setting (very smart people, relatively low stress, pay is actually pretty good).

The following is OT but I would be interested to hear if others are in the same position: since there's only one of me, our group is trying to come up with a model for how to train people in the offices we serve to maintain their own procedural documentation. It isn't feasible to hire a team of technical writers to do this, unfortunately. So I will be working on revising existing procedural documentation for the offices we serve on sort of a consulting basis, and then training them to take it over. Has anyone out there dealt with a similar situation? You can contact me off-list and I will summarize the results if there is interest. Thanks.

Phoebe Minias