RE: Losing my profession?

Subject: RE: Losing my profession?
From: "Diane Evans" <dianee -at- lockstream -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 07:58:08 -0700

Dear Anon,

I understand your frustrations (don't you just hate that phrase?). I also
work at a dot-com, although it is one with a salable product and money to
last for a while.

You said, "I have become increasingly weary of the software environment and
all of
its constant chaos, lack of focus, and constant demands for long hours.
Part of it also is that I am more than tired of dealing with geeks and
their generally adolescent approach to life."

Yes, I also work in a company of adolescent geeks. They value my talents
and experience, however. I am old enough to be the mother of most of them,
but they like that. They also appreciate someone who will do any paperwork
that they require.

You ask, "Is techwhirling really a career, or is it just a series of odd
jobs?"

I have made a career out of odd jobs for the last two years. I find the
moving from job to job (with very short breaks in between) vitalizing to me.
No time to get bored.

I also find working in a small dot-com to be very interesting. In the
course of a single day I may work on a requirements document, touch up the
use cases from our last release looking forward to the next (we have
releases every three months), document a developer's meeting, write a couple
of error messages for the latest product. Then, in the late afternoon,
someone may come by to ask for my blessing on a press release. Anything to
do with the written word is considered my domain.

I hope you find a job that is more satisfying to you. Nothing is wrong with
the career if you choose your position wisely.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer
Lockstream.com