RE: If you were in my shoes, what would you buy?

Subject: RE: If you were in my shoes, what would you buy?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:01:02 -0400

Well, to be perfectly honest, if I were in your shoes, I'd dump PageMaker,
pick up FrameMaker and use WebWorks Publisher Pro to single-source my
output. Certainly, FrameMaker would automate all of your PDF needs. The
benefit is that you can maintain your changes in one, FrameMaker, project
and output PDF and online help both.

However, given the toolset you have, PageMaker is difficult to use with
online help output. I see a couple of choices:

1) Create online help as a standalone and separate project from your PDFs
and printed materials. This requires more resources (time, staff, $$) than
single-sourcing but is no less worthwhile in terms of meeting your readers'
needs. For this, eHelp's RoboHelp 9.1 or the soon-to-be-released RoboHelp 10
should be a good solution. You can reuse material from PageMaker in a manual
RTF conversion process but the result is maintaining two different projects,
PDF and online help, separately.

2) Move to MS Word for your PDF and printed document needs, because Word is
better supported by tools, such as RoboHelp. Document in Word and import the
Word into RoboHelp as a basis for creating online help. You will still have
two projects to maintain.

3) Move to RoboHelp for your printed and online documentation needs. My
understanding is that RoboHelp supports printed output in a rudimentary way,
which means you will probably need to maintain two separate projects. I
don't know if RoboHelp 10 will provide better single-source or printed
output options.

In any event, if you plan to reuse material, or single-source, then you
should seriously consider FrameMaker-based solutions and move away from
Word, PageMaker, and RoboHelp . . ..

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Brierley