Riddle Me This

Subject: Riddle Me This
From: george -dot- m -dot- hook -at- accenture -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:12:40 -0500

Thanks, TECHWR-L members, for bearing with me in rookie year of Technical
Writing. Your responses to my questions about job description wording and
jargon were refreshing and enlightening! You are a great resource, and I
am recommending you to my brethren in the field.

Could you offer some help on a few other questions? (Or, as Frank Gorshin
as the Riddler used to say on Batman, "Riddle Me This.")

First, can anybody out there tell me what this means: "Previous experience
as a technical writer supporting development and user environments in all
aspects of the development lifecycle, including production
turnover/rollout." It sounds to me like they want someone who can write
about developing a software and how to use it, from birth to maturity (but
not as poetic).

Second, can someone clue me in as to what a COBOL/DB2 environment is?
Again, another job description mystery.

And finally, what are you doing about style books these days? I'll bet
it's the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications for most of
you, but how do you introduce it to an engagement? Do you tell a client
that this is the style book I use, and you should too? I mean, I have been
fighting this losing battle to convince editors that the Chicago Manual of
Style and the AP Style Book are fine books ... but not when you are dealing
with writing technical proposals and manuals.

Cheers,

George Hook

George Hook
Editor
Accenture
Editorial Resources/Creative Services
161 North Clark Street 19W21
Chicago, Illinois 60601-3200

privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.