Re: Riddle Me This

Subject: Re: Riddle Me This
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:35:10 -0400

george -dot- m -dot- hook -at- accenture -dot- com wrote:

> First, can anybody out there tell me what this means: "Previous experience
> as a technical writer supporting development and user environments in all
> aspects of the development lifecycle, including production
> turnover/rollout."

It means they don't want someone who comes in with a big chip on his or
her shoulder that reads, "I only write technical documentation; don't
ask me to write a user manual"; and they don't one someone simpering, "I
know all about usability studies and can write the manuals, but I don't
know anything about technology." And when they say "development
lifecycle," they expect the candidate to be able to walk over to a white
board and sketch out a typical development lifecycle.

> Second, can someone clue me in as to what a COBOL/DB2 environment is?
> Again, another job description mystery.

IBM mainframe environment. The programming language in which the system
is written and maintained is COBOL (COmmon Business-Oriented Language,
developed in the late 1950s or early 1960s, IIRC, and still in use for
large business transaction processing systems). The database is
maintained in DB2. Depending on the company, you may never even see a PC
there. Instead, you--and the ultimate users of the system--may interact
with the system through a character terminal. Or they may use Windows PC
clients. In the former case, you might find yourself using some rather
awkward documentation tools. A style manual will be the least of your
worries.

> And finally, what are you doing about style books these days? I'll bet
> it's the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications for most of
> you, but how do you introduce it to an engagement? Do you tell a client
> that this is the style book I use, and you should too? I mean, I have been
> fighting this losing battle to convince editors that the Chicago Manual of
> Style and the AP Style Book are fine books ... but not when you are dealing
> with writing technical proposals and manuals.

MMoSTP, as discussed here recently, is really a specialty resource for
when you need to talk about elements of the Windows user interface and
want to be consistent with other software documentation. It does not
really serve the purpose of a general style manual. We use it for its
specialized purpose. We use AP for news releases (and _only_ for news
releases). We use Chicago for everything else. That said, there are
still a lot of choices when you get down to cases. Therefore, we are
gradually building a company preference sheet that lists our choices
where they differ from the above books or where Chicago offers "editor's
choice."

Dick