Re: Follow-up on help authoring

Subject: Re: Follow-up on help authoring
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 14:44:26 +1000

Joyce,
There's not a lot of difference between WinHelp, Microsoft's HTML Help, and HTML-based help, from the user's point of view. The three types generally display a bit differently, and there is some minor difference in the details of what they can do, but how you create them is conceptually much the same. For example, you can create help in any major help authoring tool and output all three types from the same source.

Microsoft's HTML Help creates a compiled file, which is displayed in a viewer that requires components of Internet Explorer to be installed on the user's computer. HTML Help's tri-pane window format contains a topic frame, a navigation frame, and a collapsible and expandable contents and index. Readers can bookmark topics as Favorites. The compiled file (.CHM) is in a compressed form.

WinHelp is Microsoft's older help format, in two variations: WinHelp 3 for Windows 3.x and WinHelp 4 for Windows 95 and later. Readers can bookmark and annotate topics in the compiled help file. The basic WinHelp window has only one pane, but writers can produce pop-up and secondary windows. For a non-standard format, such as tri-pane, you must supply an extra .DLL with the help. The major help authoring tools simplify the process of creating non-standard formats.

HTML-based help runs in a Web browser. If you don't include browser-dependent features, this type of help should display on Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX systems. Major help authoring tools assist with the creation of collapsible/expandable table of contents, multi-level keyword index, full-text search, and advanced help features such as related topics buttons, secondary windows, and pop-ups.

You might find my book "Editing Online Help" useful. (See sig.) It's shareware, so you can download it and see if it meets your needs before you pay for it. The newsletters and other articles archived on my editors' site include a lot of the same information.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/
Still available: Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to
planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of
contents, go to: http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/olhbk.htm