RE: Technical Writing in the Movies - Literacy

Subject: RE: Technical Writing in the Movies - Literacy
From: "Cindy K. Kight" <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:37:37 -0700

<How many tech. writers on this list are (actively) involved with adult
literacy programs?>

I've been very involved with literacy for children, at-risk youth, and
adults. I encourage everyone to find a program and volunteer.

Technical writers make a living breaking down subjects into their essential
parts, clarifying and simplifying them for others. The skills transfer over
to tutoring very nicely if you have empathy for your 'audience'.

Most people I've worked with had traumatic experiences in the first three
years of school, where belittling from a teacher made them feel stupid. My
viewpoint as a tutor is similar to my viewpoint as a tech writer - you're
not stupid, it was just explained badly.

If anyone knows of a good program in LA, let me know. I've been here a year
and miss tutoring very much.

Cindy Kight