Re: Opinion of a site

Subject: Re: Opinion of a site
From: "Cindy Petricko" <cindyp -at- hilgraeve -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:17:38 -0400

I stumbled across this site once, while researching adaptive equipment for
my van. After looking at the home page, I concluded that I was unlikely to
find any useful information there. It is geared to teens, apparently as a
sort of emotional-adjustment sounding board. To be fair to the site's
designer, my teenage daughter would probably like it. That doesn't support
its inclusion, because she doesn't have any disabilities to hinder her from
using it, and she doesn't have a job, or use a company intranet.
My opinion of the site is this: If my employer posted a link to this site
on our intranet as a resource for me as a disabled employee, I would ask to
have it replaced by a site that actually contained valuable
disability-related information. Ideally, it would be geared toward working
people with disabilities, and would include active, moderated message
boards.
I'm not sure exactly what sort of resource the manager-type is looking for,
but one of my favorite disability-related sites is www.wheelchairjunkie.com.
(I'm not implying that this is necessarily the best example of accessible
design or "touchy-feely stuff," but it is a true resource for me as a
wheelchair user.)

Thanks,
Cindy Petricko
Hilgraeve Customer Support