Re: tech pubs organizational question

Subject: Re: tech pubs organizational question
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:22:53 -0500

hi, are there any pros/cons to having each tech writer in an organization
report to an engineering manager, instead of having a tech pubs
department?

i can think of more pros than cons, but i've never acutally worked for an
engineering manager before.

many thanks for any thoughts on this issue.

-julie

Julie,

I worked for a company for 10 years where the Tech Writers were a part of Engineering Services. This is where the drafter and document control people lived. Since the manager was oriented toward documentation of all types it was a happy marriage. The Tech Writers were in their own group, and we were organized in to project task force. A writer could and did support several projects, hardware, software, and we acted as consultants for marketing on technical issues.

It worked pretty good until the company got sold, and the new Director of Engineering reorganized everyone into vertical groups. Broke up tech writers to support only one group each. I spent 4 months doing basically nothing, while others were overworked.

The managers did not want to let anyone touch "their" resources. I found a position with another company, and three months later, the Director of Engineering was let go. The former organization was reconstituted.

Many different organizations work, it depends upon the people in charge. I prefer to have the Tech Writers in one group so that they can provide support for one another, and control consistency and standards.

Scott