Re: Teaching an old manual new tricks

Subject: Re: Teaching an old manual new tricks
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 12:02:44 -0700

"Nealon, Jessica" wrote:

> ...my manual is 6 years old and the software is at least 10 years old.
> In addition, the old software was DOS... Should there be an explanation
> of changes doc? If so, what does that look like?

An appendix about how to do things in the new version would probably be sufficient. Assuming the new Windows version can do everything the old DOS version could do, you could set up a simple, two-column table of tasks:

To do this... Do this...
---------------------------- --------------------------------------
See the contents of a In the "tree" view (with the folders
directory and pages) double-click to expand the
[ DOS: cd directoryName ] folder, or click on the plus (+) sign
[ dir ] next to the folder

A table of command equivalents might also be useful:

WidgetPro 6 Widget for Windows 1.0
--------------------- --------------------------
Alt+Crtl+F8 Ctrl+S (or Alt, F, S)
Alt+Ctrl+Shift+F8 Alt, F, A

> [What about addressing] some "basics" when dealing with Windows?

The people using DOS apps may well be using them on Windows machines. I'd think most folks who've been using computers for 6-10 years probably know how to use a mouse, at the very least.

Call me lazy, but (unless I knew a significant number of customers would need this kind of help) I'd probably refer to the Windows help system on the Start menu.

Of course, some DOS apps won't work in a DOS session spawned out of Windows, and few computer owners have "dual boot" systems, so you may know these assumptions don't apply to your customers. In that case, time and budget constraints may dictate whether you refer them to the Windows help or teach them the basics yourself.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!