RE: Teaching an old manual new tricks

Subject: RE: Teaching an old manual new tricks
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:57:05 -0600

> Subject: Teaching an old manual new tricks
> From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- itb -dot- mckhboc -dot- com>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:29:01 -0400

> This message was inspired by the conversation on the list about
future
> functionality. Like the original post-er, I am re-writing an old
manual.
> However, my manual is 6 years old and the software is at least 10
years old.
> In addition, the old software was DOS. The new version has been
completely
> re-done in a Windows environment. As a result, I'm writing mostly
from
> scratch. I keep running into questions about 1) referencing the old
> software, and 2) how much to explain about a Windows operating
system [vs.
> DOS].
> In addition to adding new customers, we're hoping to upgrade our
existing
> clients to the new software. That audience knows the old system and
may or
> may not know how to operate Windows. Here are some questions:
> Should there be an explanation of changes doc? If so, what does that
look
> like?
> Have any of you ever written a specialty doc for existing customers
of new
> software that is actually old software re-done? How did you handle
it?
> We do include a "Basics" chapter at the beginning of all the
application
> manuals. Should that chapter directly address some "basics" when
dealing
> with Windows? Or, again, should that be a separate document?
> I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Well, many years ago now, when the earth was young and the grass was
still green, I did a manual for an extensively overhauled database
application for the provincial Justice department. (I was the dude
they hired to do the programming for the new, improved Special
Constable System--the manual followed naturally.)

It wasn't as big a jump as the one you describe, simply replacing an
application written in SAS/FSP with one written in SAS/ AF Frames.
>From a visual point of view, it was like jumping from an old DOS
application with a menu asking you to press a number to select an
option with a Windows type application with nifty pushbuttons.

I included a one page introduction that highlighted the major
differences and a comment on another page suggesting the user should
be familiar with Windows and know how to use a mouse.

The remainder of the manual concentrated on the new version of the
software with no reference to the old version, and took the approach
that the person using the software was a new user who had never seen
(and would never see) the older version.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer