Re: Rule about not using possessive? (Take III, and out)

Subject: Re: Rule about not using possessive? (Take III, and out)
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:08:04 -0500

Equating grammar with laws of nature, Richard Combs wrote:

>I'd go further and say that at least some of the rules
>of grammar *are* laws of nature; when you violate them,
>you contradict reality. . . .
>Take, for instance, the matter of subject-verb number
>agreement. Saying "She are..." or "They is..." doesn't
>just ignore an arbitrary preference of the bourgeousie.
>It rejects Aristotle's law of identity; the subject of
>your communication cannot be *both* an individual and
>a group at the same time.

This argument depends on two assumptions that I consider to be false:
(1) That the meanings of "she," "they," "are," and "is" are somehow
objective and immutable.
Language is socially defined. It evolves. Some dialect forms of English use
different forms of "to be" from Standard Written English. And even within
mainstream English usage, there's plenty of precedent for using the
singular "they," as Bruce has pointed out. For some of us, the
controversial "the user . . . they" construction is perfectly acceptable.
(2) That Aristotle's law of identity is akin to "laws of nature."
Aristotle's law of identity is a philosopher's opinion. Gravity is a law of
nature.

Christine