Re: Jumpstart a programming ability

Subject: Re: Jumpstart a programming ability
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:27:16 -0700

Sean MacRae <sean -at- rcp -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

(*snip*)

> If you do want to teach yourself, I suggest you set yourself a small,
> real-world project to complete that you can use when you've finished it.
> Some utility that scratches one of your personal itches. Even better, get
> someone else to set you such a task. Just don't put a deadline on it.

(*snip*)

You might try what I did recently.

I wrote an article for MacTech magazine (a magazine for Mac
programmers) entitled "REALbasic: How Do You Learn This Stuff, Anyway?".
In this article, I advocated using Visual Basic books to learn REALbasic.

Specifically, the book I recommended was "Visual Basic Weekend Crash
Course," by Richard Mansfield. Using this book for a project source, and
the two (the only two) REALbasic books for reference on syntax, this
forced me to learn more about REALbasic syntax than I knew before. In
fact, I used VirtualPC and the demo version of Visual Basic on my iMac to
go through the book's tutorials while simultaneously building the same
project in REALbasic.

However ... you don't need to do this to learn VB. Just build the project
in the book, and you should be okay.

As for object oriented concepts ... well, for me that will be another
article. For you, check the web, then your local community college.

Good luck!

--gdw

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."