Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

"Timothy Huckabee" wrote...

> I have recently been asked to pen an article for "Technical
> Communication", the Journal of the society for Technical Communication.
> This, I have been informed, will be a volunteer effort on my part
> without remuneration. On one hand, it is an opportunity to get published
> in TC...on the other, I feel strongly about writing for free. This
> particular piece would constitute a fair amount of time and effort to
> complete. Suggestions?

A. Many tech writers, myself included, pay no attention to STC magazines.

B. If you were an accountant, and a stranger asked you to do his/her
taxes, would you do it for free?

C. Its yet another in the never-ending list of ways STC gets people to
either work for free or pay for the right to be in their presence. Why
should you work for free for them - they NEVER let ANYBODY into a meeting
for free.

D. There are numerous magazines who will pay for your services. If the
topic really interests you, write the article and shop it around to other
magazines FIRST. If nobody buys it, then give it to STC, but retain the
rights.

I like writing articles too, and I don't even mind doing it for free. But,
I expect something in return. TECHWR-L is an invaluable resource that
costs me nothing. So writing some articles for free for them seems only
fair. TECHWR-L has given me so much - I should return the favor.

To get ANYTHING out of STC you have to pay, and pay, and pay, and
pay...always first.

That's my thoughts. Any question how I feel here? :-)

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/