Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:34:14 -0700 (PDT)

"Brierley, Sean" wrote..
> In all seriousness, do you think the STC would get more and better
> quality papers and submissions from industry (versus academia) if they
> were to pay a stipend for articles?

At least let you attend a meeting for free.

This is what cheeses me off so much about STC. Its just a nonstop money
machine. The money always flows in one direction - into their pockets.

Almost all respected academic journals pay the authors something for
articles. Sometimes it is a small amount, but at least they make an
effort. If STC would pay even a few hundred dollars, I'll bet a lot more
people would write for it.

What you end up with, and no offense to the original poster, is people who
are new to tech writing with limited experience writing articles just so
they can get some exposure. This produces overly theoretical articles with
little to no basis in reality. These people don't have the benefit of 10+
years of writing to draw on. Old timers and experienced writers are not
willing to contribute their insights because their time is too valuable.

Its the same with the STC conferences. Why should I contribute my insights
and experiences to STC when they don't even have the decency to let me
into their stupid conference for free. I am going out of my way to help
them, and they can't even let me attend for free. That is the avatar of
arrogance and rudeness.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/