FrameMaker to PDF problem

Subject: FrameMaker to PDF problem
From: Suzanne Burgess <sburgess -at- force10networks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:16:43 -0700

Hello,

My colleague and I are tearing our hair out over this problem and hope
someone can help us. We are using FrameMaker 6.0 and Acrobat Distiller 4.0
to create pdf files of our FrameMaker documents. We have one document that
contains multiple graphics and we cannot convert it from FrameMaker format
to pdf format.

Here is our process and our results:
- use the Print Only to File: and Generate Acrobat Data options to print our
FrameMaker document (save it as a .ps file)
- open the .ps file in Acrobat Distiller and this is where the file bombs.

Below is a copy of the log file containing the errors we get trying to
convert the .ps file to a .pdf file:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[Page: 1]%%
%%[Page: 2]%%
ArialNarrow not found, using Courier.
ArialNarrow not found, using Courier.
ArialNarrow-Bold not found, using Courier.
%%[Page: 3]%%
%%[Page: 4]%%
%%[Page: 5]%%
%%[Page: 6]%%
ArialNarrow not found, using Courier.
%%[Page: 7]%%
ArialNarrow not found, using Courier.
ArialNarrow-Bold not found, using Courier.
%%[Page: 8]%%
%%[Page: 9]%%
%%[Page: 10]%%
%%[LastPage]%%
%%[ Error: bad charstring <B> ]%%
%%[Warning: unable to embed font /TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT. undefined]%%
%%[ Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand: distillsave ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

We are pursuing many avenues to fix this problem. From mail lists, we found
one suggestion to increase the RAM in our computers. The suggestion was to
add over 50 megs to our computers and to date, we only have 261,616 K. So
that may be one solution, and if you have an opinion/solution please let me
know.

Second solution we are trying is to print using the Adobe PS driver (we
found this suggestion in the TECHWR-L archives). We tried that and got
several 'font not available' messages in FrameMaker and no pdf file. We are
using PS printers (HP 8100) and until we encountered this file with multiple
graphics, the printing process and the pdf conversion process worked fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks for your help,
Suzanne

Suzanne Burgess
Force10 Networks
phone: 408.571.3594
e-mail: sburgess -at- force10networks -dot- com