RE: Information Mapping Seminar - Worth It?

Subject: RE: Information Mapping Seminar - Worth It?
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:07:02 -0400

Andrew,
For what it's worth...
While I am not actually an MSCE, I have taken all of the training classes. I
just never took the exams. Call it laziness. Call it lack of funds. Whatever
you call it, I don't regret my decision.

Perhaps it's because my specialty is more with end-user software than with
hardware, but I've frequently mentioned my training and knowledge of
things-Microsoft only to be given a blank stare by employers.

As a matter of fact, they've been much more interested in my Office skills
(a former MS Office instructor) than my training in networking.

I'm wondering your opinion on the real work-related value of the
certification. I know for many people being an MSCE can get your foot in the
door. But does it *really* help a tech writer who doesn't document
networking?

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.