RE: Documents I'd like to see...

Subject: RE: Documents I'd like to see...
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:15:49 -0400

Robin,
In an ideal world, I'd agree with you. However, based on my own experiences
teaching and learning software, I'd say this often just doesn't work. For
example, I worked at a national software training company for some time.
Their training manuals used the kind of real-world, task-oriented approach
you mention. The problem was that the writers had no way of knowing just how
someone was going to use the software. The examples always seemed to apply
to one or two people in the class and no one else. It's a tough, tough thing
to imagine what extreme uses someone might have for a product like MS Word.

On the other hand, I try to use a version of that approach where I currently
work. I document an accounting package specialized for the construction
industry, and use section headings like "Adjusting an Invoice," "Calculating
Deductions," etc. I also have a "task list" just after the TOC that walks
users through a typical job. It has topics like "When you get the bid...",
"When you perform work on the job...", etc.

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.