RE: MS HTML Help Workshop or RoboHelp?

Subject: RE: MS HTML Help Workshop or RoboHelp?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:14:49 +0100

Emily Cotlier writes:
>At my company, we are mulling over whether to use MS HTML Help Workshop or
>RoboHelp as our primary online help-building tool. I've checked the
archives
>on this list, and there seems to be an eerie silence from tech-wrlers about
>MS HTML Help Workshop as a help-building tool. Perhaps this is because
there
>are other lists about MS HTML Help?

I used MS Help Workshop to build a set of large and complex WinHelp files a
few years ago. We fell into the use of MS Help Workshop simply because we
*had* been using ForeHelp, it had proved unable to cope with the sheer size
of the project we were working on, and my manager was intensely reluctant to
tool: then for six months or so after the first manager left the company and
the second one started, we had no other option but to use Workshop because
there was no one who either would or could lay out money on a new tool.

Providing you're not afraid of getting your hands metaphorically dirty
writing macros and poking around in the the innards of a Help system that
tools like ForeHelp and RoboHelp normally shield from your view, MS Help
Workshop works fine.

But I have to say that we were all exceedingly glad when the new manager
finally got authorisation to buy FrameMaker and RoboHelp, and we could
abandon the set of macros we had so carefully built up to cover all those
little contingencies.

It was... what's the expression? oh yes... "A valuable learning experience."
But I would go for RoboHelp.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.