RE: SUMMARY: another newbie, etc...

Subject: RE: SUMMARY: another newbie, etc...
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:31:20 +0100

Christine Anameier:
> (Wait a
>minute... you mentioned a recruiter. I wonder what kind of cut they're
>taking on this deal. It's conceivable that the company may be offering a
>more reasonable amount but the recruiter is taking a big chunk of it.)

Doesn't work that way in the UK. When I get a contract (or a permanent job)
through an agency, I talk money with the *agency*, not with my future
employer: what the company's willing to pay, what my acceptable salary range
is, what the current acceptable salary range for technical writers in this
area of the company is. The agency gets paid at a rate based on what I'm
getting, but it doesn't come out of what I'm getting. Sure, I may be getting
?X an hour and the company is paying the agency ?X+N an hour, but the agency
is also paying me within five working days of my submitting the invoices -
whereas the company is not necessarily paying the agency that fast <g>. In
any case, the company chooses to work through an agency knowing that the
agency rates inflate the rates a technical author gets. I'm happy with ?X an
hour. The company is happy paying ?X+N an hour. The agencies I've worked
with are mean lean salary-negotiating machines... and provide additional
support, solace, and prompt job-dissatisfaction solutions to "their"
clients. A good agency is a win-win solution... almost as good as having a
recognised trade union <g>.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.