RE: Salary - It's Easy

Subject: RE: Salary - It's Easy
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

Here's a good response I got. Original name ripped off to protect the
innocent.

> Sorry, but it is an outright lie to say that you made "about $55,000"
> when
> you in fact made "$32,500." I do not know a hiring manager who would
> look at
> it otherwise, and I know quite a few. I would certainly not consider
> making
> an offer to a candidate who made such a statement. Using the word
> "about"
> does not mask the fact that it's a lie.

No, a lie is to say "I made $53,543 in total compensation" when you have
no fricking idea what the benefits REALLY cost. That's a lie.

It is not a lie when to tack on qualifiers that indicate a range. You can
debate the RANGE of that grayness, but that is not a lie.

The respondant's attitude is typical HR muscle. "YOU WILL MAKE NOTHING
MORE THAN WHAT YOU USED TO MAKE!!!" How on earth would any of us ever move
up and make good salaries if we did not try to up-sell ourselves?

Let me put it this way: if your shakrahs feel more properly aligned by
telling the pure, objective facts all the time. Then do it and sleep well.
But if you want to get ahead and build wealth, you need to sell yourself.
Sales is a game of ranges and grayness. You're never going to succeed in
sales if you can't work the numbers. When you look for a job, you are
selling yourself - plain and simple.

Now, if a $22,000 upsell is too much for you - then don't do it. Do a
$5000 upsell. Just make sure you are always up-selling yourself.

Its a dog-eat-cow world, you need to compete. There are no rules, there
are layers of grayness. Either you manipulate those layers to work in your
favor, or you become a victim of that, perpetually at the mercy of others.

There is NOTHING unethical about trying to make more money. That is human
nature. To deny that may make your sensitivity group respect you, but it
won't make your credit card bills go away.

You know how it goes - if you depend on other people to have your best
interests in mind, you will consistently be disappointed.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/