Re: If you could ask your users a question...

Subject: Re: If you could ask your users a question...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:08:06 -0700

How about: can I watch you use the product to do a list of tasks that I'll give you?

The first time I managed to get some user feedback, I learned very quickly that what users said they wanted was often out of sync with what they actually did.

Beginning anthropology texts say that you need to know three things about any event:
- what participants say happen.
- what is supposed to happen.
- what happened.
The three are not necessarily the same, and the differences between them are often illuminating.

I like saying that tech-writers are anthropologists to geeks. I suppose that they're anthropologists to end-users, too - at least when doing usability testing.

So, I conclude that this basic advice to anthropology students is probably useful to tech-writers, too.

"I saw you, I met you, I had you, I lost you
Lucky I have no disease
I have a habit of taking things lightly
It keeps me off of my knees."
-The Mollys, "Holding On"

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at