So, how much IS it worth?

Subject: So, how much IS it worth?
From: sarashay -at- ivillage -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:34:59

Since I'm still relatively new at technical writing, my time may only be
=worth= $20 an hour right now, especially now that the market is flooded
with layoffs. :\

Well, consider this: I have a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing. I
know Microsoft Word pretty well, (at least well enough to figure things out
when it's misbehaving) and my one year tenure in my first technical writing
job exposed me to RoboHELP and Adobe Acrobat. How much do you think those
skills are worth, based on how much your usual going rate is? (I should
add that those are not the absolute limits of my skills or experience, but
the ones that I can reasonably quantify.)

Or, maybe I should ask, what is your going rate per hour for determining
how much I should charge for my services. ;)

Thanks very much,

Sheila O'Shea