Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:42:21 -0700

Jim Shaeffer wrote:

The other thread (Software Solution / LeXpert) got me thinking. (Sorry <vbg>)
The enjoyment of a crossword puzzle is not dependent on one's interest in the topic or theme used in the puzzle.

[snip]

Perhaps, Tech Writers whose subjects do not interest them achieve satisfaction in their work/lives through an analogous process

One or two people have already indicated as much, saying that what they enjoy is explaining things to people.

I suspect that most, if not all list members, enjoy explaining. I do myself (obviously). And, in the past, that enjoyment has has made several jobs more tolerable.

Still, I don't find that the joys of explanation exist in isolation. Some subjects are simply much more enjoyable to explain than others. Some, too, are more worthy of explanation.

For example, in the past, I've found myself drawn to new or high-end technologies, such as ATM video conferencing. Sometimes, my enjoyment of documenting this material lies in the fact that I'm the first person to do it, but another large part of my enjoyment is that the technology itself is interesting and a challenge to learn. By contrast, human resources databases and securities software seems boring enough to me that much of the joy of explaining is lost when I document them -0 at least after the first four or five months.

Similarly, teaching material, which gives people more skills to improve themselves or to make their daily workday easier is enjoyable because the goal seems worthwhile. In the same way, Linux is interesting because of the idealism that I'm constantly encountering in the field. However, almost all e-commerce software leaves me cold, because I'm not very materialistic, and deep down I feel that the world doesn't really benefit from new ways to sell things to people that they don't really need. As a Canadian, I don't have much chance to work on military material, but I suspect that I'd be reluctant to work on that, too.

So, while the joys of explaining take me a long way, and have sustained me in some jobs that were less than ideal, it's not an absolute value. It's tempered by what I am explaining.

"'Oh, give me something different please,' I ask at the Buroo,
'On the board of some big company where there's no a thing to do,
'Let me try insider trading, I'll be equal tae the task,
For I'm slowly being murdered by the brown bag and the flask.'"
-Andy M. Stewart, "Monday Morning"