RE: A FAQ or an FAQ?

Subject: RE: A FAQ or an FAQ?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:08:11 +0100

Hi Beth,

A resource I find very useful in determining questions like this is
www.alltheweb.com. It has an "exact phrase" option that really means "exact
phrase" (unlike google).

I find that searching on "a FAQ" gets me 115 801 references, and on "an FAQ"
gets only 22 170. I think you can fairly safely conclude that a prospective
employer is likely to either use "a FAQ" or else to be aware that "a FAQ" is
widely considered correct. (FWIW, too, I've never heard anyone pronounce FAQ
anything but "fak".)

HTH,

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.