RE: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: RE: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:16:59 +0100

Miranda O'Connor wrote:
>My company asked me to accept more responsibilities and I agreed to it
after I was told
>that my salary would soon be adjusted. My company has changed its mind and
will not give >me an increase.
>What would you do if this happened to you?

Depends how much I liked the new responsibilities. If I was really enjoying
the extension of my role, I might stay on for a while, then look for another
job offering the same kind of responsibilities. (It's a thought. If nothing
but their reneging on the deal is bothering you, you could look on it as a
six-month investment for higher pay and the pleasure of cocking a snook at
them when you leave.)

If I wasn't enjoying the new stuff I was doing, I'd tell them that in that
case, if they're not giving me the promised increase, I'm not doing the
extra work. (Then I'd start looking round for a new job, really fast.)

Alternatively, if they're crying poormouth and saying they just can't afford
the salary rise, you could bargain for additional benefits - extra holiday
time, flexitime, rise in grade, telecommuting... if that's worth it to you.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.