RE: Job Description

Subject: RE: Job Description
From: "Steve Arrants" <steve_arrants -at- sonic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:29:02 -0700

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 1:18 PM
> To: TECHWR-L
> Cc: Jonathan Stoppi; TECHWR-L
> Subject: Re: Job Description
>

> Steve Arrants wrote:
>

> > Well, you should care, at least a little bit. Street Sweepers have an
> > hourly rate a bit less
> > than good technical writers. Less respect from hiring managers, too.
>

> This comment set me to wondering: is there any relation between job
> titles and the amount you're paid as a writer?

In some situations, yes. Companies that haven't HAD writers might decide
what
they'll pay based on some "industry norm", whatever that is. There are a
couple of
places on the net that you can see figures for writers of different titles
and levels.

> Generally, tech-writers seem to spend far more time worrying over job
> titles than is healthy.

Well, probably as much as management. I've been in some situations where
I've been told something
along the lines of "We can't hire you as a senior writer because we don't
have the budget for such a
salary. But we can hire you as a writer II".

Titles seem to mean more when you're searching for another position or when
a company is trying to
put a job ladder or some such in place.

steve arrants