FWD: Getting what I'm worth

Subject: FWD: Getting what I'm worth
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:41:15 -0600 (MDT)

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please respond to list. EJR

Hi, all. I guess this is somewhat OT, but I would really like to hear the
advice of the members of this list. I am horrible at negotiating
compensation for myself. Nearly every job I've had I've under sold myself
and then later feel resentful--even though I know I have no one to blame
but myself.

I accepted a full-time permanent position back in March as a technical
communicator for a non-profit organization. I settled for a little less
than what I wanted salary wise with the understanding that at the end of
my 6 month probationary period I would get an increase. The figure that
was tossed into the air was slightly above my initial asking salary. My 6
month review is coming up in September. I want to have a strong case for
getting the figure I think I deserve. However, it would mean a 13%
increase. Is this a pipe dream?

According to the STC salary survey for 2000, I am in the 10% median salary
range for the US. A 13% increase would bring me up to 25% for 4
categories and up to 50% for one. This seems reasonable to me.
Especially when the median for my geographic area would still be about 25%
more than my salary!

I was told that because it is a non-profit organization, they tend to pay
less than the for profit sector. And the benefits are great. They even
have a retirement fund that they pay in a percentage of my salary even if
I don't contribute at all. They paid for my membership for the STC. They
have tuition reimbursement, dental, health, and a flexi-benefit I can use
to offset costs of childcare, etc.

Everyone seems very satisfied with my work to date. I've met all of my
deadlines and took initiative to get some things done that were "future"
work. They have since given me added responsibilities such as updating
specific pages for their website, and I will be the publisher of our
forthcoming knowledge-based support database on the web.

Two questions,
1. Am I being reasonable?
2. How can I ensure I get what I think I'm worth?

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.