RE: Getting what I'm worth

Subject: RE: Getting what I'm worth
From: "Kathy Jacobs" <jacobskl -at- jacobs -dot- coxatwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:10:59 -0700

Working at a non-profit generally means being in the lower ranges of
pay. They tend to make up for it with the benefits as you have noticed.
What also tends to work for increases is to ask for non-monetary extras.
For example:
- Ask for the expenses for a trip to a major conference to be included
in the package (with paid time)
- Ask for an increase in vacation time
- Ask for permission to do professional writing based on your experience
during work hours

With a non-profit "getting what you are worth" is an interesting
concept: If the only way you are going to measure "what you are worth"
is in dollars, you are in the wrong sector. Why do I say this? Because
as a life long volunteer I can tell you that the organizations I
volunteer for can't pay me what I am worth. But, they can give me the
benefit of sharing what I know and appreciating what I do.

This is just my two cents, but I hope you think about it.

Kathryn Jacobs, BrainBench MVP MS PowerPoint (Get Certified at
http://www.brainbench.com)
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com

Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, parent, and whatever else there
is time for

Life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we
lived