RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:52:47 -0400

Study after study has shown that stress on the job correlates strongly with the amount of control you have over your work. If you are the victim of micromanagement (because of your direct supervisor's personality and skill or because of company rules and policies), you are going to feel more stress than if you are not. (Of course individuals react differently, so one person may feel more stress in a given situation than does another.)

In an environment where you are given a deliverable to produce and a date by which it is due, then left to your own devices, stress should be minimal. I think that is the situation for many tech writers, so on average this should be a relatively low-stress profession. On the other hand, we seem to have more than our share of touch-me-not, pea-sensing princesses (of both sexes), so maybe the _reported_ stress will be high on average ;-)

Just my two cents...

Dick