RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Field, Kristin" <KField -at- LSAC -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:56:30 -0400

Warren Singer writes:

1. If you were to list the five most stressful aspects of being a
technical writer (from most to least stressful), what items would you
list?

(for example: 1. high work load, 2. tight deadlines,.....)

2. Are there any specific strategies you use to cope with work stress?

I have to agree with Darren that I find the job of technical communicator
not terribly stressful where I am. Of course, previously I worked as a
project manager for a small start-up computer consulting firm for 3 1/2
years prior to this, so just about anything would be low stress compared to
that!

There are 2 things that have caused me stress in this job though. First, I
am the soul technical communicator, and I am "owned" by the communications
department. That puts me way out of the loop with the development team. As
a result, I find myself sometimes battling to get the information I need to
create the documentation (including a fully functional copy of the software
I am creating user manuals for!). I get things like "What do you need that
for?" or "I'll take the screen caps and send them over to you." Like all I
need to do is place some pictures and write about them without knowing how
they flow, what did the end user do to create the result, what's the
logic...so forget any insight about the product. Now, that is not the norm.
I completed another project where the staff I worked with was very helpful
and forthcoming with information. The other stressful element is when they
give me no deadline and then, a few days or a week later, in passing mention
that it will be ready to go out in 2 weeks, right?

To cope with the lack of shared information, like Bill answered in his
reply, I commiserate with individuals in the same boat. For instance, the
group that supports the clients on the software get stressed because they
are introduced to new functionality in upgrades a day or 2 before it is
sent to the clients. They really don't have time to review it before they
have to start supporting it.

To cope with deadlines being sprung on me, I ask up front when I am given a
project. And if I don't get an answer from the primary individual, I find
out who else is involved with the project and what their expectations are.
Then I have a better idea of how to plan the work.

Kristin D. Field
Technical Communicator/Proofreader
Law School Admission Council
215.968.1141