RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:39:18 -0400

I have to agree with Sean. Especially in one company I used to work for (who
will remain nameless), if your lips weren't firmly planted on the right
person's buttocks, you went nowhere. Hard work was rewarded with a
publicized slap in the face, and do-nothing babble from the butt-kissers was
richly rewarded with raises, management titles, and public praise.

How do I know?

A few friends and I actually put this to the test. We worked hard and
documented our "treatment", and then kissed ass hard and documented that
"treatment". The two documents did not compare. One highlight from the
work-hard list was that (to paraphrase) "you work well outside the direction
(read: micro-management) of senior management and have identified yourself
as someone who is not a team player." One highlight from the ass-kissing
list was (again, paraphrasing) "your insight and knowledge is just what
we're looking for in an employee. We hope to see more of this in the
future." Now, I have to add that the ass-kissing approach involved no
thought or research into true corporate solutions, but rather rambling
techno-babble and other nonsense.

Cool, huh?

So, in my experience, there are some companies in which authority flows not
from ability, but from fabricated rhetoric. Conduct a simple ph test to
determine what kind of a company you're working for. High acidity favors the
rhetoric.

Have a day!

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.