RE: Job Market in the USA

Subject: RE: Job Market in the USA
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:19:52 -0600

I had replied offline to Lisa. I told her:

"You will have an advantage over others in the job market who might be
complaining about not finding work. They are planted and will look first
in their own backyards, neighborhoods, and cities for work. You, on the
other hand, can find the job first and then relocate to within a
reasonable distance. You don't have uprooted home/family constraints
that you wouldn't have had otherwise."

In other words, Lisa is free-as-a-fiddle to go to where the work is. She
is not stuck in a mortgage or lease that limits her to some acreage in
Silicon Valley. She doesn't have to worry about long commutes.

I came back from Austria at the end of last August jobless, homeless,
and car-less (with a cat). Admittedly, it was a different time with
different market conditions. I found the car within 4 days, landed the
job within 17, and then began looking for the right apartment that was
convenient for work and my social life.

Because I moved back before lining up a job, I paid for the move myself
-- although I probably could have negotiated some moving expenses after
the fact. Sounds like Lisa like me is moving back anyway probably on her
own dime. So where she is coming from isn't necessarily going to rule
her out as a candidate.

All else being equal, in my eyes she may be a better candidate than
someone already living in the state but further away and setting
themselves up for a nasty commute. Commuting time is not working time or
overtime or even play time and zaps the energies of the employees.

Hence, more power to you Lisa in getting a job and then finding nice
living accomodations within biking distance.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com