Subject: RE: Resized screen shot graphics in Frame 6.5 for PC

From: Jim Dooley <jimpynyc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:23:34 -0700 (PDT)

If you are talking about FrameMaker, there is a pretty
good solution.

1--decide what size you want the image in the original
document (width or height). If you're real picky,
figure out both & the ratio of width to height.

2--take your screen shot (if you were "picky," try to
get the screen shot proportions to match the final
product. For example, if doing a region capture that
will be set in a 6"X 8" box, your ratio is 3:4).

3--save your bitmap.

4--open the bitmap in photoshop.

5--choose Image>Image Size & make the following
selections under "Document Size" (ignore Pixel
Dimensions):
for print, set resolution to 300dpi, for web-only, set
it to 72dpi.
6--Same screen, also under "Document Size," set your
width OR height. (if you were "picky" they should be
CLOSE. If you're REAL picky, either crop the image
down to size or re-shoot the image).
7--click OK.

Your image will print at the desired resolution & will
fit the box in FrameMaker. If you had just tried to
stretch the image in Frame, it would have lost
resolution as you dragged the image to a larger size,
or added too much resolution if you were shrinking
it).

While you're at it, if the image is for B&W printing,
adjust the images colors or brightness/contrast (if
needed)--document what you do, so you can repeat it
for other screen shots. Then, change Image>Mode to
grayscale.

Whether color or grayscale, you should also play
around with Filter>Unsharpen Mask. We just did a job
with numerous b&w screen shots @ 300dpi & found
unsharpen mask settings of 40, 1, 2 worked well.
(though, screen shots are mostly boxy line art, they
do have text & this little bit of unsharpening seems
to help).

oh yeah: for print or pdf, save images as tiff or eps.
for web, i'm guessing giff over jpeg, but ask around
or try both. (bmp isn't supported by either)