Re: Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic?

Subject: Re: Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:38:50 -0600

A variant on your idea had crossed my mind.

Yes, my SME is an expert--a team lead who's been with the company for
close to 20 years. Makes this person an expert.

The variant has more to do with the mathematical background of us as
tech writers. If my perception of the typical tech writer is correct,
there aren't many of us I can't walk circles around when it comes to
math. The notable exception is Dianne Evans who post to this list
serve and who has mentioned having a math degree.

Hence, my SME may be assuming I have a similar level of math
competency to other writers she has worked with in the past. That is,
she is attempting to explain something to me based on prior experience
that isn't relevant in this situation.

In which case, an issue for me, and something I'm going to have to
learn to do better, is communicating my own math background to SMEs
when a large part of the procedure is math.