copyright (was RE: A Question of Ethics ...)

Subject: copyright (was RE: A Question of Ethics ...)
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:09:07 -0400

Jane Carnall writes:

> Further, in
> a fast-moving environment, the 50-year-past-the-author's-death copyright
> that was the original law, intending to allow the creator and the
> creator's
> immediate descendants to benefit from the creator's personal intellectual
> labours, hardly seems appropriate for an undying legal entity such as a
> company that has not itself intellectually laboured.

Actually, this is a more recent development. It used to be 75 years since
the document was written. I believe the change may have been made in the
U.S. because Disney was concerned about losing copyright on their early
films. And the exact duration of copyright varies in different countries.

There is some information about this at the Project Guttenberg web site, as
they are trying to freely distribute text that are no longer protected by
copyright.

- Michele
Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.