Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)

Subject: Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:22:16 -0700

Peter wrote:

Just because a right can be abused, doesn't mean it should be lost. How
many millions of folks are killed by automobiles. Does that mean we
should take away your right to drive?

No, but it might mean that some restrictions or limitations should be placed upon it - for example, traffic regulations and safety standards for cars.

Suppose the Bruce Byfield Company has a copyright. That is a company. At
what size would you deny copyright protection. Doesn't a company have a
right to make a profit if it purchases a copyright from an individual?

Fortunately, I don't have to make that decision. For that matter, I don't necessarily think that it should be made. However, some people do think that a restriction on profit or legislation to prevent the creation of artificial shortages based on the copyright might be desirable.

BTW are you not really talking about software patents as opposed to
copyrights?

No, although the two are closely related subjects.

Whether any particular act is stealing is like being pregnant. It either
is or isn't.

Check my original message: "theft is theft." However, I do think that the degree of culpability can differ.

Should not the producer make the decision whether to open source the
results of the efforts and capital investments?

Check my original message: "it's up to the creators to decide whether their software is freely available, and everyone else should respect their decision."

Not if your license agreement is to the contrary.
I see a confusion between what you believe one should be able to do and
what one is legally able to do.

It's questionable whether a license can take away the right. My understanding is that international copyright law permits the making of a backup (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Even if it doesn't, the practice is so widespread that it might be argued to be an innate right.

Finally, as an aside, I wish you would read my comments more carefully. For the most part, I was presenting arguments that I don't necessarily agree with to suggest the complexity of the topics raised. Simplifying the issues aren't really very useful.

My own position on the subject doesn't go very far beyond the observation that present copyright laws don't work, and don't seem widely supported. I still haven't decided what I think should be done about the situation - although I suspect that not making changes would be the very worst way to go. There simply isn't enough time or people to follow all the copyright violations that are occurring already.

Stillborn love, passionate dreams, pitiful greed
And the silver tongues of the tinker girls
Who throw the book of life at you
But don't know how to read."
-Richard Thompson, "Gypsy Love Songs"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: