Re: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?

Subject: Re: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:33:44 -0700 (PDT)

> > PS: If I demand 1/3 up front and 1/3 in the middle,
> > he may balk.
>
> I am batting 1,000. Every time someone tell me not to worry about being
> paid, I get stiffed on something.
> Most business people understand the need for a substantial up front
> payment.

No they don't. I would never pay a contractor up front for work. Never,
ever. How do I know the contractor won't take my money and just run and
never do the job. Do you pay the plumber, lawyer, or doctor upfront? No.

Most places will not under any circumstances pay an up front fee.

Remember the mistrust goes both ways. How does the company know you can
actually write the docs.

Get a contract signed that is comprehensive and says, in effect, customer
agrees to pay and if he doesn't you can sue him. Its the best assurance
you can get. Besides, people who are going to screw you will always leap
in fear at the sight of a contract.

>Your call, are you doing this for the thrill or money. Base
> your decision on the answer to that question.
> OTOH if he has no money, but will give you a piece of the action, you
> might consider that as an alternative.

Don't take a piece of the action on your first engagement. Get cash first.
If the place is any good, and you do a good job for them, they'll ask you
back - then take a piece of the action.

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/