conventions

Subject: conventions
From: "Ownsworth, Heather (H.J.)" <hownswor -at- jaguar -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 06:06:54 -0400

Does any one know if there is a convention for the syntax to be used in documentation of Windows style drop down menus?

Here's what I mean.

If I want to change the folder that MS Word (for example) uses as the default for saving documents Word Help tells me

Change the default working folder for Word only
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the File Locations tab.

In the File types list, click Documents.

Click Modify.

What I want is a 'shorthand' syntax convention for the selection sequence 'Tools, Options, File Locations, File types, Documents, Modify.' so as to avoid all the non bold words in the above example.

I tend to write "Select Tools ... Options ... File Locations ... File types ... Documents ... Modify." but I could believe that Tools\Options\File Locations\File types\Documents\Modify." is an accepted syntax, or "Tools, Options, File Locations, File types, Documents, Modify." or even "Tools+Options+File Locations+File types+Documents+Modify."

or even possibly Tools
File Locations
File types
Documents
Modify."

Can anyone give an authoritative view on this, please?
Heather Ownsworth (HOWNSWOR)
Technical Author / Web Data Owner & Author
Powertrain Calibration/Planning
* Mail w/4/031
* Telephone 726 7164
* Telephone 02476 207164
* Fax 726 6498
* Email<mailto:hownswor -at- jaguar -dot- com>