Word to PowerPoint Conversion?

Subject: Word to PowerPoint Conversion?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:40:09 -0400

M Rassmussen, trying to export a Word file into Powerpoint, reports: <<I
have Office 2k, but File -> Send to... does nothing for me. It just creates
a lot of blank slides. It won't import any of the photos or text, save for
one sentence.>>

If memory serves, this is a known problem with the Word to Powerpoint link:
PP only imports certain levels of heading successfully, and does a really
lousy job of importing body text and graphics*. That's not really
surprising, nor is it necessarily Microsoft's fault, since you can't take a
typical Word document (formatted for print on large pages in portrait
layout) and simply pour it into a PP slide (formatted for projection onto a
screen, starting from small pages formatted in landscape layout). You
probably won't be able to do the job elegantly with any degree of
automation, but if you do some advance reformatting in Word (e.g., applying
the Microsoft-defined heading levels 1-3 to the appropriate chunks of text),
you might be able to get Word to do much of the transfer for you. But you're
still going to have to do considerable revision work yourself to produce an
effective PP presentation.

*For details, head over to www.woodyswatch.com and search the archives for
articles on exporting Word to PP.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein