Re: Where information comes from

Subject: Re: Where information comes from
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:51:52 -0700 (PDT)

"Eric J. Ray" wrote

> I've been watching the discussions on intellectual
> property rights go by for a while, and have deliberately
> not stepped in to throttle them, mostly because they're
> sorta relevant (in a roundabout way) but also partially
> through morbid curiosity about how people would react
> to some of the points made.

Thank you Eric, for letting this discussion continue. Although marginally
related to tech writing, I've found it interesting. Even though my
arguments have been resoundingly on the side of business, I think we have
been fortunate to have good arguments on all sides which allow us to
analyze and discuss the idea intelligently.

Now a little reflective blather...

The Internet has forced us to challenge many ideas and notions of
commerce, business, freedom of speech, and so forth. But, it seems to me
that more often than not, the old, traditional ways of protecting the
innocent, ensuring fair commerce, and defending the rights of owners are
as equally if not more applicable in the Internet-age as they were in the
Pre-Internet-Age. The introduction of new technologies does not take away
some of the ways we have built to protect individuals AND corporations
from criminal activity.

However, it also does open many new doors. And it is important to both
respect the needs of individuals as well as protecting the owners.

What bothers me is not so much the justification for illegal activities,
but the notable "anti-business" tone that is emerging from many
Internet-related issues. From WTO to Microsoft's Antitrust case, there is
a growing notion that business is somehow a problem that must be
constrained.

This bothers me because A) I am a business owner, but B) as a citizen who
accepts the fact that many of the technologies I enjoy and keep me
employed came into existence thanks to the tremendous investment of
corporations. Like the sponsors to TECHWR-L, we wouldn't have some of the
basic technologies we enjoy without tremendous contributions of resources
and capital from corporations and individuals.

These companies and individuals are not only entitled to earn money from
those investments, we as a society have a imperative to compensate and
reward them, so that the next great achievement will get funded. By
rewarding inventors and innovators, we encourage more innovation. And some
of these innovations save lives and make life on earth better. (While some
are useless Hello Kitty make up kits.)

As writers, we work hard for what we do. We not only deserve compensation,
but there is an imperative to compensate writers. This profit motive will
compel writers to work hard to perfect their craft and rise to levels of
respect and wealth. Which is exactly why vanity acts (like STC speaking)
are so counterproductive, as they do not reward hard work, but merely a
lose checkbook.

Thanks again Eric.

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/