Re: Re\: Asimov - Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic - Rant?

Subject: Re: Re\: Asimov - Assumptions, the audience and arithmetic - Rant?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 05:58:10 -0400

Michael,

Let's head this one off at the pass. Perhaps both of you would be
satisfied with _congenital_ rather than either _genetic_ or _inherited_.
There is ample evidence (just consider the people you know well,
including your own children, if you have any) that particular parts of
the brain are more robust in some individuals than in others, that these
tendencies are present at birth, and that absent abuse, negligence, or
deprivation, they will express themselves.

It may (or may not) be that these differences stem more from random
developmental events or fetal environmental factors than from genes, and
that the research you are asking about does not (or does) exist. I don't
know. But we don't need no stinkin' research to know that not all
writing skill can be attributed to good teaching.

Dick