RE: More ethics... (long, of course)

Subject: RE: More ethics... (long, of course)
From: "Robert Rinehart" <robert -at- hgus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:31:34 -0400

Leaving lurker mode:

> Andrew Plato wrote:
>There is no need to make "backup" copies of DVDs or CDs as they
> cannot be overwritten.
>The "fair use" claim is a red herring. Its an attempt to lead people away
>from the central point of these copyright laws by suggesting
>inconsequential maybes and sort-ofs as rationales why security measures
>are illegal. The fact is, if you use these products fairly, you should
>have no need to break or bypass the security.

While I am not taking sides, I believe that it can be necessary to make
backup copies of DVDs or CDs. They can be lost, stolen, broken, or damaged.
If you have children you can lose CD's to a variety of minor household
disasters. I, personally, have lost several CDs to numerous moves and to
careless guests. I have had some stolen, especially in college. Friends of
mine have had masses of CD's stolen in auto break-ins, etc. If you have
indoor pets (dogs or cats, at least), you can end up with hopelessly
scratched, chewed, etc. CD's. I have had several CDs "borrowed" by people
who had no intention of returning them. I had backups of none of them. Would
have been nice; I could still listen to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club".
:)