Re: Overcoming archaic doc tools?

Subject: Re: Overcoming archaic doc tools?
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:58:43 -0500

It may just be GML -- I never actually used it (we never got that *advanced* in those days; I used DCF). Actually, FrameMaker and BookMaster aren't so dissimilar in concept. The main differences are that in BookMaster you have to type the tags, and you have to visualize the output rather than seeing it WYSIWYG on the screen.

I never could understand all the people who complained to me that DCF wasn't user-friendly, although I'm not a "change is scary/unnecessary/bad" person. At the time, DCF, which is a precursor to BookMaster, was more reliable and powerful than WordPerfect, which is what we went to. I love WordPerfect for some things, but not books. I'm much more comfortable with FrameMaker
and its ability to handle books consisting of huge numbers of files.

If all attempts at change fail, at least you're getting experience that will transfer to SGML, XML, and whatever new and improved MLs come down the line. A tool is just a tool (she said as she stomped her Microsoft Office CD to bits).

Jo

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

Weakness Through Strength

Fanatics may defend a point of view
so strongly as to prove it can't be true.

Piet Hein

Jfuller246 -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I work for a large company (1,700 employees) that still uses IBM BookMaster for all manuals. Help! It is the most archaic un-user-friendly piece of software I've used in a long time. The BookMaster manual was last updated in the late 1980s. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I miss MS Word!

<snip>