RE: More ethics...

Subject: RE: More ethics...
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:07:35 -0400

Maggie,

That's pretty unlikely. But without even charging
you, I'll supply a better analogy that is more
real-world realistic. Replace the plumber with
the gardener.

Now, charge people to enjoy the lovely garden
for an hour or two. Some of 'em will even take
(gasp!) photographs away with them. Worse, SOME
of them may sell those photographs to magazines.

If the gardener wishes to capitalize
on that little opportunity, he can damn well
buy his own land and make another garden.
And if I own the original garden, I have no
claim in the slightest against the gardener
if he duplicates mine down to the last flower
petal.

The plumber, meanwhile, can make and re-use
a copy of the work he did for me, and even
use it as a teaching aid in his new school
for plumbers. "This is how I solve this
nifty little plumbing challenge..."

Again, there's no reason to suppose that it
takes any less creativity, drive, ingenuity
for, say, a machinist to make a particularly
ingenious and useful tool or jig or fitting
or... than it takes for a painter to paint
a portrait.

In one case, if the machinist does especially
smooth, precise, elegant work, his skills will
be in demand and he'll get jobs that perhaps
are more challenging and that pay more than
other machinists get. In the other case, if the
painter does a particularly good job of capturing
likenesses (or of making them flattering...),
his skills will be in demand and he'll get
commissions that perhaps are more challenging
and that pay more than other painters are getting.

If I take a new and finely machined part and put
it into one of those 3-D scanning and milling
machines, and the machine starts to spit out
copy after copy, I don't have to pay residuals
to the guy who machined the archetype object.
If I get a portrait done of my lovely wife
and run that through a high-res scanner, it
seems I'm supposed to pay the portrait painter
each time I sell a copy, unless I have a piece
of paper entitling me to reproduction rights
for the image.

The difference is...?

/kevin