Copyright as protection against liability

Subject: Copyright as protection against liability
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:35:35 -0400

All,

If Listdaddy doesn't rule this question out-of-bounds,
I hope somebody can explain something to me.

An article at:

http://www.istc.org.uk/site/members/gcc0609.asp

Briefly, the author makes the point that (especially
in Europe, but I don't see why the trend would be
different here) technical authors may find themselves
being charged or sued for the results of any
deficiencies in their output. He was talking about
professional liability insurance premiums rising
due to the notion that documentation is being considered
integral to the product (we used to think that was a
*good* thing...).

But then, in the last third of the article, he makes
the point that Copyright law might provide some sort
of shelter or shield from bankrupting liability claims
against the person who wrote (or translated) a technical
document.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see where the author actually
explained the mechanism (and therefore the actions an
author would take) by which this protection could be
invoked. (Maybe the web site ate a key paragraph in
his article.)

Does anybody have an idea? Or, was it perhaps some aspect
that is peculiar to the British version of Copyright?
What could you do with Copyright to routinely protect
yourself from regulatory or civil consequences of error
in your work?

If this is OT, then please make all replies off-list.

Thanks,

/kevin