RE: Respect

Subject: RE: Respect
From: "Eric J. Ray (remote)" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:52:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, John Posada wrote:
> I had a developer, in a meeting, say "Give it to Johnny...he'll break
> ANYTHING!"

That's even better than the "Just STOP! ;-)" message I
got the other day after another "Er, well, I was trying to
do Foo, and it crashed" report I made.

> I hope we're not just finding errors, though that happens. By putting
> it on paper, the logic (or faulty logic) of a sequence is examined.
> By documenting an awkward process, the emporer is shown to have no
> clothes. More than once, we've encouraged development to change a
> process because once they saw it on paper, they saw how bad it was.
> Fixing errors doesn't add value, the errors only took it away.
> However, materialy changing the steps that a user performs DOES
> increase the value of the product. I'd guess that falls under

Again, I think we're both saying the same thing. If a process
or sequence has faulty logic or could confuse users,
it's in error. If you point it out and get it fixed, you're
adding value.

> usability testing. Does usability testing increase product value? Is
> it is possible to write solid documentation about an application that
> DOESN'T include this?

Solid documentation? No. Documentation? Absolutely yes. And
you and I both could name 100 examples of documentation that
doesn't include this.

> > If you want to call the process you describe the act of
> > writing, I can go for that. But it's not the typical
> > narrow definition of _writing_.
>
> As far as my way not being true writing, I cannot think of any other

Didn't say it's not "true writing". I just pointed out that
there's a lot in your process that doesn't look much
like what most people think of as pure writing, and someone
who doesn't know better could well assume that a technical
writer's job encompasses only the writing and not the
vast extent of other stuff.

> way TO write. Are there those that passively write something and if
> they see it is difficult to document because it is difficult to
> perform, that they don't let anyone know, but just put words on paper?

Yes, there are. And they are 90% of the reason we're
_having_ this discussion.

If developers, development managers, managers, and others in
our organizations hadn't already been trained to doubt the
value of a tech writer by "tech writers" who do precisely
what you describe, we wouldn't see the "I don't get no respect"
thread pop up every month on this list.

Eric