Re: Lone Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Lone Technical Writer
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:16:18 -0500

I agree with everything Dawson has said. I would add one thing: In your overall
plan for the year (or whatever your overall plan encompasses), propose a
priority for each project, and for each item within each project. Point out that
the lower priority items may either have to be discarded or done to minimum
standards. Then have someone at the appropriate level approve the priorities.

I work with five other writers, and, for some projects, there are still
documentation tasks that never get done. But we have proposed priorities to the
project team in advance, pointed out that the lowest priority items will be done
only if there's enough time at the end of the project, and gotten everyone to
sign off on the plan.

When multiple project teams compete for our time, which happens often, and
everyone wants his or her priorities bumped up, which happens often, we escalate
to someone who has the authority to allocate our time and resources. (You might
want to get it in writing.) You don't want to be in the position of being a
highly valued writer who's universally resented because project teams think
you're working on the wrong projects or priorities!

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

Weakness Through Strength

Fanatics may defend a point of view
so strongly as to prove it can't be true.

Piet Hein

Dawson McKnight wrote: <snip>